The Eastern Kentucky University women’s tennis team fell in their road match against North Florida, resulting in a 6-1 loss, Thursday at the UNF Tennis Complex. The Colonels play in their last regular season match against Kennesaw State on the road on Saturday, April 8 at 10:00 a.m.
To start the doubles match, the Ospreys won their doubles matches from the first two courts to go into singles with a one point lead. In singles, Emmeline Polevoi won her match in a three-set thriller from fourth place, 6-4, 1-6, 12-10.
However, the Ospreys won five singles games to clinch the match for North Florida.
Table of Contents
1. #85 Kit Gulihur/Ana Paula Melilo (UNF) def. Masha Fedenko/Daniela Hernandez (EKU) 6-1
2. Kendall Nash/Isabel Oliveira (UNF) def.
Sasha Parkhomenko/Emmeline Polevoi (EKU) 6-2
3. Jasmin Makela/Annabelle Davis (UNF) vs. Elena Tairian/Mariia Triska (EKU) 4-2, unfinished
1. #103 Kit Gulihur (UNF) def. Masha Fedenko (EKU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Annabelle Davis (UNF) def.
Sasha Parkhomenko (EKU) 6-1, 7-5
3. Isabel Oliveira (UNF) def. Elena Tairian (EKU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Emmeline Polevoi (EKU) def. Ana Paula Melilo (UNF) 6-4, 1-6, 1-0 (12-10)
5. Kendall Nash (UNF) def. Daniela Hernandez (EKU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Jasmin Makela (UNF) def.
Mariia Triska (EKU) 6-1, 6-0
About the EKU
The Eastern Kentucky University is a public university in Richmond, Kentucky. As a regional comprehensive institution, EKU also maintains branch campuses in Corbin, Hazard, Lancaster, and Manchester and offers over 40 online undergraduate and graduate options.
Central University was founded in 1874 in Richmond, Kentucky.
Beset with financial difficulties and small enrollment, Central University consolidated with Centre College in 1901. On March 21, 1906, the Governor signed legislation which established the Eastern Kentucky State Normal School No.
1. On May 7,1906, the Normal School Commission selected the site of the former Central University campus as the location of the Eastern Kentucky State Normal School No. 1; the site continues to serve as the location of EKU.
EKU serves its service region by offering adult degree completion options and online degree programs in addition to its traditional on-campus offerings.
The Eastern Kentucky (EKU) athletic teams are called the Colonels (formerly known as the Maroons until the mid-1960s). The university is a member of the NCAA Division I ranks, primarily competing in the ASUN Conference since the 2021–22 academic year; while its football team competes in the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) until the ASUN launches its own football league, most likely in the 2022 fall season.
The Colonels previously competed in the Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) from 1948–49 to 2020–21. EKU competes in 18 intercollegiate varsity sports: Men’s sports include baseball, basketball, cross country, football, golf, tennis and track & field; while women’s sports include basketball, beach volleyball, cross country, golf, soccer, softball, tennis, track & field and volleyball.