Australian tennis player Ellen Perez thinks it is “insanity” that Novak Djokovic is again missing Indian Wells and Miami just because he hasn’t been vaccinated against COVID-19. Last year, Djokovic missed all tournaments in the United States due to his vaccination status.
Last month, Djokovic revealed that he requested to be granted special permission to enter the United States this March. On Friday, Florida senator Rick Scott reported that Djokovic’s request was denied. “BREAKING: We have been told that @DHSgov just denied @DjokerNole’s vaccine waiver request, making him ineligible to compete in the US next week in CA & in the @MiamiOpen.
@JoeBiden must fix this NOW, grant the waiver & allow him to compete here in the states,” Florida senator Scott tweeted.
Perez comes to Djokovic’s support
Reacting to the senator’s tweet, Perez wrote: “Insanity really.
My last booster shot was November 2021 which qualifies me as vaccinated to enter the US. My vaccine is long gone. All I have is a status/title ‘vaccinated’ which should mean nothing. Let him play!”
Insanity really. My last booster shot was November 2021 which qualifies me as vaccinated to enter the US.
On Friday, Djokovic was beaten by Daniil Medvedev in the Dubai semifinal.
After the match, Djokovic confirmed the Monte Carlo Masters – which kicks off on April 9th – would be his next tournament if he was denied participation in Indian Wells and Miami. “If there’s no America, I guess I’ll play clay.
Monte-Carlo is probably the next tournament. If that’s the case, I’ll take some time off, I’ll prepare. Clay, as we’ve said, is the most demanding surface. It takes time more than any other surface to prepare for,” Djokovic said.
In May, these current United States vaccine laws are expected to be lifted. If that happens, Djokovic will be eligible to return to the United States during the North American hard court swing and compete at the Cincinnati Masters and US Open.