Italian tennis star Matteo Berrettini has signed up to compete at the Queen’s Club this year, the tournament announced. Berrettini, 26, will be making his third consecutive appearance at the Queen’s Club in June. Berrettini has enjoyed lots of success so far at the British grass event, winning back-to-back titles at the tournament in 2021 and 2022.
Berrettini, who owns a perfect 10-0 record at the Queen’s Club, is very much excited about competing for his third consecutive title at the tournament during this year’s grass season. “I can’t wait to return to the cinch Championships at the Queen’s Club again, a place that holds so many special memories for me over the last couple of years and where the tournament team do such a great job of running one of the player’s favourite events on the Tour,” Berrettini said.
Berrettini was absolutely delighted after winning Queen’s again
In the 2021 Queen’s final, Berrettini defeated Great Britain’s Cameron Norrie. In the spring of 2022, Berrettini underwent a hand surgery. After missing the entire clay season, Berrettini returned to action on the grass courts of Stuttgart, where he made it all the way.
The week after winning Stuttgart, Berrettini also won Queen’s as he defeated Filip Krajinovic in the final. For Berrettini, it was a surreal moment as he admitted that he exceeded his own expectations by winning Stuttgart and Queen’s in his first two tournaments after the surgery.
“There are so many emotions. The last thing I expected was to come back from surgery and win two titles in a row, defend my title here at one of the most prestigious tournaments we have. I don’t want to cry. Most of the job is thanks to them, my team and my family.
I just can’t believe it,” Berrettini said after winning back-to-back Queen’s titles. The Queen’s event is taking place from June 19-25.
Leave a Reply